Westwood newsletters for the 2018-2019 school year will be posted below on most Wednesdays throughout the school year. Click through the categories below to read this week's newsletter.
Newsletters will also be sent via email to families. If you are not receiving these emails, please review your contact information in Campus Parent Portal. If you still do not receive newsletter emails, please contact Westwood at 763-600-5300.
Thank you for supporting a great year of learning for your child at Westwood. The year has brought many friendships and learning opportunities to our students. We started the year with our students moving to teams. Within these teams, teachers have gotten to know their students, which allowed them the ability to engage students in their learning and foster their talents. Below are just a few of the many highlights of our school year:
- Implementation of Rachel’s Challenge and student groups to support building a positive culture at Westwood
- Spanish Immersion grade 5 joined Westwood allowing us to increase programming in the target language of Spanish for both grades 5 and 6
- All students were placed on teams providing opportunities for staff to get to know each child as a learner and work together to meet their needs
- Full hour for Panther Time in grades 7 and 8 so teachers can work with individual kids, build a team community and provide time for students to retake tests during the school day
- Panther Foundation donated gaga pit – the kids used them in 7/8 PE and had a blast
- New STEM and Maker Spaces both on the intermediate and middle school sides of the building for kids to actively learn and work with materials
- Implementation of the new Bridges Materials in grade 5 to build conceptual knowledge in mathematics
These are just a few of the highlights, as well as the individual accomplishments that your child has had.
Congratulations to all of our 8th graders! We wish you well at the high school next year.
iPad Collection Date June 5
iPads will be turned into the tech department for the summer. The iPads should be turned in with the cover and iPad. If there is damage to the iPad a picture will be taken of the damage and a report will be filed to fix the iPad along with the damage fee to parents.
Media materials are due to the library next week. If your child has something checked out from the media center they will receive a notice from Mrs. Kennedy.
This past week a group of our 7th and 8th grade students visited Washington D.C. During their time in D.C., they were able to see our country's past, present, and future through monuments, museums, memorials, and historical sites. Students spent time walking through the several Smithsonian Museums, The Holocaust Museum, The Library of Congress, Mt. Vernon, Ford's Theater and the Newseum, just to name a few. It was a fantastic trip and one they will be sure to remember.
May Upcoming Events
- Thursday, May 23 - 8th Grade Trip to Spring Lake Park High School, 9:10-10:45 a.m.
- Thursday, May 23 - Ms. Becker and Ms. Anderson 7th Grade Reading Intervention Field Trip, Mission Manor, 10:15 a.m.-1:45 p.m.
- Thursday, May 23 - 6th Grade Band Concert, 7 p.m., FAC
- Friday, May 24 - All checked out media material is due
- Friday, May 24 - 6C Field Trip, Blainbrook and Aquatore Park, 9:15 a.m.- 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 28 - Student ambassador Field Trip - Feed My Starving Children, 9-11 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 29 - 7th Grade Red Team Field Trip, Mpls Sculpture Gardens and MIA, 8:55 a.m.-2:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 29 - 5th Grade Band Concert, 7 p.m., FAC
- Friday, May 31 - 7th Grade Yellow Team Field Trip, William O'Brien State Park, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
June Upcoming Events
- Monday, June 3 - Gr. 7/8 End of Trimester - Science/Social Studies
- Monday, June 3 - 5A Aurelia Park, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 4 - Gr. 7/8 End of Trimester - Math/ELA
- Tuesday, June 4 - 5C Aurelia Park, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 4 - 5B Showcase, 10-11 a.m. or 1:30-2:30 p.m., 5B Pod
- Tuesday, June 4 - 5A Field Trip, Shoreview Community Center, 11:15 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 5 - 8th Grade Award Ceremony, 7:15-8:15 a.m., Cafeteria
- Wednesday, June 5 - Grade 7/8 End of Trimester - Electives/Make-Ups
- Wednesday, June 5 - iPad Turn-In Day, all morning
- Wednesday, June 5 - 6A Aurelia Park, All Day
- Wednesday, June 5 - 5A Field Trip, Children's Theatre Company (rescheduled due to snow day), 9 a.m.-1:45 p.m.
- Thursday, June 6 - 5th Grade Spanish Immersion, Aurelia Park, 9:30-11:45 a.m.
- Thursday, June 6 - 8th Grade Field Trip, Valleyfair, All Day
- Thursday, June 6 - 7th Grade Field Trip, Nickelodeon Universe, All Day
The Westwood PTO would like to thank all of the parents for their support throughout the year. We had a successful fundraiser with part of these donations helping us purchase a large piece of equipment for our playground.
Visit the PTO Facebook page: Westwood Intermediate and Middle School PTO
- Click here to receive email notifications about PTO.
Westwood School has after-school programs, including athletics, intramurals and clubs, which are coordinated by Spring Lake Park Community Education.
These activities are supervised and led by certified coaches, licensed teachers and/or knowledgeable staff who emphasize skill development, participation, teamwork, leadership, social growth, sportsmanship and respect for others. Most activities are available to all Westwood students. Activities begin after school starting at 2:45 p.m. for grades 7-8 and 3:15 p.m. for grades 5-6, and run until 4:30 p.m. Activity buses are available.
Registration Spotlight: Westwood Summer Open Gym
Spring Lake Park students entering 6th through 8th grade can register for Westwood Open Gym this summer. Open Gym will be Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday beginning June 11-August 15. Contact Chris Lammers, Westwood Activities Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Online registration is now open for this fantastic Westwood Open Gym summer opportunity.
Summer 2019 - Open for Registration
Various summer camps are now open for registration. Camps for basketball, volleyball, football, theatre, speech and many other great options are available. View the full schedule and registration information.
The Westwood cafeteria Drop-In Center will be open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays for homework help and daily activity. There is no fee to drop in and all students in grades 5-8 are welcome. Activity buses are available for those students who drop-in.
- Open to all Westwood students at 2:45-4:40 p.m. for 7th and 8th graders and 3:15-4:40 p.m. for 5th and 6th graders
- Specific activity each day
- Homework help available
Health Office News
Please be aware that all medications stored in the Health Office will be sent home with students during the last few days of school. If you would like other accommodations to be made, please contact Amanda Boss, RN at 763-600-5304.
We will start selling any remaining yearbooks beginning on Tuesday, May 28, in the main office. They will be sold on a first come, first serve basis until we are sold out. Cost is $30, payable by cash or check. Students will get their yearbooks in June.
Grade 7 and 8 End of Year Field Trips
The last day of school is Thursday, June 6. Our 7th graders will be heading to the Mall of America - Nickelodeon Universe for a day of unlimited rides and fun. Our 8th graders will be taking their annual end of the year trip to Valleyfair. If your child has an annual pass to Valleyfair, they may use that and forego the cost of this trip. They will still need to turn in a signed permission slip. Permission slips were sent home with students this week. All students must have a signed permission slip on file to attend these field trips. We also have extra permission slips available in the main office.
We are excited to provide these opportunities for our middle school students after a year of hard work.
8th Grade Award Ceremony
Invitations were mailed out this week to the families of our 8th grade award recipients. The 8th Grade Award Ceremony will take place on Wednesday, June 5 in the Westwood Cafeteria. Continental breakfast will be served at 7:15 a.m. and the program will begin at 7:30 a.m. This event is always a highlight of the school year as it provides one final opportunity to recognize those 8th grade students who have excelled throughout their time here at Westwood. This event is by invitation only, if you have received an invitation, we hope you are able to join us in honoring these exceptional students.
It’s time to collect student iPads
As the 2018-2019 school year nears the end, it is time for students to turn in their district-owned iPads. Students should backup their devices by following the directions here. All devices will need to be wiped, or erased, and all accounts logged out including Find my iPad and Apple ID before turning in devices. Students will receive information on this process at school.
Students will turn in their devices starting Friday, May 31. Learn more about the upcoming iPad collection.
You’re Invited: Native American End of the Year Celebration
Spring Lake Park Schools' Native American students and families are invited to the End of the Year Native American Family Celebration on Thursday, May 30 from 6-8 p.m. at the SLPHS Stadium Suite.
Important changes to Campus Portal App
Spring Lake Park Schools uses Infinite Campus Parent Portal to provide online access to secure and timely information about class schedules, attendance, report cards and transcripts. Infinite Campus recently released an important change that will affect portal users and that families may need to take action on.
On Sunday, June 30, 2019 the Campus Portal app will be removed and replaced with two mobile apps: Campus Parent and Campus Student. To download the new app, search for “Campus Parent” in the App Store or Google Play. When accessing Campus Portal on the web, the user experience will change very little and families will use the same URL and username and password to access their accounts.