Using Screen Time
Screen Time is a feature that parents can use to set limitations on their student’s iPads. Follow the instructions below on how to use Screen Time to set limits on apps and websites.
- Go to Settings > Screen Time
- Tap Turn On Screen Time.
- Tap Continue.
- Select This is My Child's iPad.
- On the next few screens (Downtime, App Limits, Content & Privacy) tap “Not now”. You will set these later in the Screen Time settings.
- You will also be prompted to enter an Apple ID. We recommend not logging into an Apple ID, since this could cause you to be locked out of Screen Time, or an Apple ID can easily be guessed by a student.
- Set a Screen Time Passcode. This will allow you to change Screen Time settings and allow time extensions for apps when desired.
Things to Know with Screen Time
- NOTE: We recommend “starting small” with Screen Time and putting in more settings over time. For example, most teachers use YouTube as a teaching tool. Blocking it entirely during the school day may prevent students from using videos for schoolwork.
- We also recommend communicating with your student's teachers which settings you have enabled so they can plan and adapt lesson accordingly.
- Building techs can remove Screen Time passcodes. When a Screen Time passcode is removed, the passcode must be configured again and all settings must be reset. This may be necessary if Screen Time is set "too tight" and impairs iPad functionality or management, which is why we recommend starting small.
- Content & Privacy Restrictions
- It is recommended to not set Content Restrictions by age category. For example, Apple will rate some apps 17+ only because they can access the web. Setting a lower limit can disable an innocuous app.
- Do not disable Location Services. Student iPads use Location Services to determine their Time and Date, and if the Time and Date is incorrect, this can affect Screen Time.
For more information, see the following Apple Support guides:
Use Screen Time on your iPad: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208982
Use parental controls on your child’s iPad: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304#set-restrictions