Student and Family Advocates
High expectations. High Achievement. For all. No excuses.
Families are the foundation of a child’s school success. The Student and Family Advocate can meet with you to discuss your family’s questions and connect you with community agencies or programs that will best serve you and your family’s needs. Our hope is to help you and your family remove barriers to be successful.
What is a Student and Family Advocate?
- Bridge the gap between families and schools to promote collaborative processes and engagement in the educational planning for students
- Conduct home and community visits to establish positive communication, connections, and support
- Locate and link families to community resources to support stability, health and wellness, and learning readiness
- Provide a spectrum (from consult to intensive case management) of support to students and families
- Provide educational opportunities on identified topics such as: mental health, child development, stress reduction, discipline and safety, and teacher/parent/student communication
Advocates are available for visits in the home, school and community.
- Please contact Jill Tessman, Lead Student and Family Advocate, at 763-600-5029 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Jill will determine which advocate will be available to work with the family.
- Parents can also contact their school or building to request services
- Each school has a pit crew of staff that make referrals. The purpose of having designated staff is to streamline the process, have coordinated communication and maximize the resources for families.
- Once it is determined by the pit crew that a referral will be made to the Student and Family Advocate, the referral form is completed and sent to the main referral site (email@example.com).
- The referring person will hear back within 24 hours about who will be the assigned Advocate.
Student and Family Advocate Lead
Westwood Intermediate and Middle School
Park Terrace Elementary
Woodcrest Elementary Early Childhood
Spring Lake High School
Northpoint Elementary Westwood Intermediate and Middle School