Free and Reduced-Priced Meals and Educational Benefits
Spring Lake Park Schools is able to provide Free or Reduced-Price Meals and Education Benefits to children in our district who eligible based on their family's income level. Families are strongly encouraged to fill out an application and many are pleasantly surprised to learn they qualify for these benefits.
School meals will be provided for free again for the 2021-2022 school year, however, going through the application process is still critical. The funds schools receive from the national Free and Reduced-Price Meals and Education Benefits program apply to far more than meals and are critical to supporting our learning environment.
A new application must be completed each school year. The application process is simple and confidential. Information obtained from meal applications is also used to determine student eligibility for a number of school programs including athletics and activities, in-home internet access and more.
All families receive a mailed paper application in early August. Families are also able to fill out an online application through Campus Parent Portal or download and fill out a paper application, found below in the "How do I apply" section in multiple languages.
Applications can be submitted any time during the school year. Families who have not applied for these benefits before should apply right away.
Online Application - 2021-2022 available now
- Complete an application through Campus Parent Portal
- Online Steps: Once logged into Campus Parent Portal, find the application by clicking on the "More" tab, then the "Meal Benefits" tab.
Paper Application - available below. Applications will also hit homes in mid-August
Paper applications are mailed to all district households in early August. English and Spanish applications are also available at the District Service Center or any school office at any time. Please stop in if you need helping filling out your application.
Complete and return by choosing any of the following:
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to: 763-600-5582
- Mail or deliver to: Spring Lake Park Schools, Nutrition Services, 1415 81st Ave NE, Spring Lake Park, MN 55432
Download the following applications:
Would I qualify?
The income thresholds are higher than in other programs, so many families are surprised to find they do qualify. Please take a few minutes to fill out the application - even if you don't think you will qualify. It's about much more than meals.
Benefits beyond meals:
There are many great benefits to filling out an applications that go beyond meals. You could be eligible for:
- Reduced fares on Metro Transit through the Transit Assistance Program. Anyone in a household with a student receiving Free or Reduced Lunch is eligible to receive this reduced fare.
- Reduced fees for in-home internet access. This helps with affordable internet cost for eligible households through Internet Essentials by Comcast.
- Reduced fees for athletics and activities
- Funding for student programs and services and needed staff
- Reduced registration fees for AP Tests and college applications
Contact Jane Sweney, Program Assistant at 763-600-5041 or
- Who can get free or reduced-price meals?
- What happens if my application is approved as free, reduced or denied?
- How will I find out the status of my application?
- May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
- Who should I include as members of my household?
- What if my income is not always the same?
- Where will the information I provide be kept?
- Will the information I give be checked?
- What if my information changes in the middle of the school year?