School Closings and Alerts
Spring Lake Park Schools makes every possible effort to keep schools open, in most weather conditions, if bus travel is safe. Unless we announce otherwise, assume school is in session.
Parents make the final decision about whether or not to send their children to school if they believe weather conditions present a safety issue. No school credit is lost and the absence is excused if a parent decides to keep a child home because of the weather.
For any snowy or cold conditions, please be sure children are dressed for the weather and particularly if they are traveling by bus or walking to school. With winter weather, please also allow for the occasional delay with bus pick-up and delivery times.
We make decisions to close school looking at a number of factors. Buses must be able to start and run dependably. Local road conditions must be safe and passable. Windchills must be safe, especially during bus pick up and drop off times. When there are sustained wind chills of 40 to 45 degrees below zero during critical travel times, conditions are not safe for students. Like neighboring districts, the National Weather Service is our source for weather information.
Due to the often unpredictable winter weather in Minnesota, in most cases we wait until the morning of each school day before notifying families. However, there may be rare instances when we make a decision the night before.
- How are decisions made for when schools remain open or close?
- What are all the potential scenarios with winter weather closings?
- How will I know if school is closed, released early, there is a delayed start or a flexible learning day?
- Keep your contact information updated
- What if I did not receive the alert messages?
- What are the procedures for when school is closed/canceled for the day?
- What are the procedures for when there is a two-hour delayed start?
- What are the procedures for when school is dismissed early?
- What is a flexible learning day and what are the procedures when one is called?
- How are decisions made related to cold?
- Do other districts influence our decision to close, dismiss early, delay start or have a flexible learning day?