To celebrate College Knowledge Month, Spring Lake Park High School (SLPHS) and Minnesota colleges and universities have a number of special events happening throughout the month.
College Knowledge Month is Minnesota’s college application initiative and occurs annually during the month of October. Minnesota College Goal organizes free events for students and families to complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The goal is to provide every graduating high school senior with the preparation, opportunity and support needed to apply to college, especially underrepresented students. Learn more about College Knowledge Month.
Free college application opportunities
A number of Minnesota colleges and universities are waiving their application fees throughout the month of October. All Minnesota State colleges and universities will waive fees October 28-November 1, 2019. If prompted for a promo code, applicants should use “CKM2019.” Learn more about 2019-2020 free application opportunities at Minnesota Colleges and Universities.
Special events at Spring Lake Park High School
College Application Bootcamp
Tuesdays and Thursdays, SLP time, Upstairs Multipurpose Room
On each Tuesday and Thursday throughout the month of October, students can attend a College Application Bootcamp during SLP time. The Bootcamp will cover creating a college list, completing college applications, requesting transcripts, requesting letters of recommendation, writing your college essay, fee waiver questions and Naviance questions.
October 15, 6-7 p.m., SLPHS computer lab
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, can be confusing and overwhelming. Come work on your FAFSA application with college professionals, Spanish interpreters will be available to help.
Senior parent presentation
October 15, 4:30 p.m., SLPHS Fine Arts Center
SLPHS counselors will tell families what to expect during their senior year, including important steps, deadlines and ideas to prepare their senior for leaving the nest. Whether college, military or workforce bound, we will cover all that is needed to help you help your senior be successful after high school.
MetroNorth Chamber of Commerce
October 15 and 16, outside of SLPHS cafeteria
Members from the MetroNorth Chamber of Commerce will be at SLPHS during family and teacher conferences on October 15 and 16 to share available resources from our business community, including part-time student job opportunities, adult job openings and other career resources. We encourage families to stop by the MetroNorth tables outside of the SLPHS cafeteria to learn more between 4:30-7 p.m. on Tuesday, October 15 or 8 a.m.-3 p.m. on Wednesday, October 16.
College planning presentation
October 21, 5:30 p.m., SLPHS Fine Arts Center
Are you interested in learning more about the planning process for college? Is your student a first-generation college applicant or do just want to know what has changed since you applied to college? This presentation is for all families and will cover the basics of each year of high school and what students and families can do to best prepare for life after high school.
Wednesday college days
Wednesdays throughout the month of October are College Day. Students and staff are encouraged to wear their college gear.
College and military visits
Representatives from the following colleges, universities and military will be at SLPHS during lunch, advisory and SLP time throughout the month of October. Students are encouraged to stop by and talk to representatives to learn more. There will also be three presentations for students to attend throughout the month.
- October 1: Winona State, SLP time
- October 1: U.S. Army, lunch
- October 7: Grinnell College, advisory
- October 7: U.S. Army, lunch
- October 8: College of St. Scholastica, SLP time
- October 9: University of Iowa, advisory
- Presentation on “Senior year – Undecided” by Haley Hollem
- October 11: University of Minnesota-Duluth, advisory
- Presentation on UMD programs and admissions by Nawang Palkit
- October 21: Iowa State, advisory
- October 22: St. Mary’s University, SLP time
- October 23: Hamline University, advisory
- October 24: Minneapolis Community and Technical College, SLP time
- October 25: University of Wisconsin-Stout, advisory
- Presentation on Real Estate Property Management by Jessica McCarron and Melody Yap
- October 28: University of Minnesota-Duluth, advisory
- October 29: University of Minnesota-Duluth, SLP time
- October 31: University of Missouri-Columbia, SLP time
- October 31: St. Cloud State University, SLP time
If you or your student have questions about College Knowledge Month or about their postsecondary plans, please contact your student’s dean.
- Julie Turchoie, last names letters A-Co. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lindsey Redmann, last names letters Cp-Hen, email@example.com
- Sasha Wolter, last names letters Heo-Ka, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennifer Blaido, last names letters Kb-Li, email@example.com
- Justine Malecha, last names letters Lj-Pal, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Angie Shea, last names letters Pam-Sm, email@example.com
- Troy Willemssen, last names letters Sn-Z, firstname.lastname@example.org