Spanish Immersion Kindergarten
- Spring Lake Park Schools offers a Spanish immersion program that begins in kindergarten at Woodcrest Spanish Immersion School (WSI).
- Students at WSI follow the same curriculum offered at the other SLP elementary schools, except all core content is taught in Spanish.
- Students learn to understand, speak, read, and write in Spanish, increasing fluency levels each year they are in the program. By the end of fifth grade, most students will be functionally proficient in writing, reading and speaking in Spanish.
- Students begin formal English instruction in grade three. Data from Minnesota’s comprehensive reading and math tests continue to show immersion students are performing at an equal or higher level than their district peers on these assessments.
- Students experience a wide variety of world views as they are immersed in a school culture created by international teachers and support staff.
Location: Woodcrest Elementary Spanish Immersion School in Fridley
Hours: Follows the same school schedule as the school day, currently 9:10 a.m.-3:45 p.m. (subject to change)
Transportation: Students eligible for transportation would ride the regular morning and afternoon school buses
Enrollment: While we accept enrollments throughout the year, the enrollment priority placement deadline will be in February 2020.
A lottery will take place if there are more applicants than spots available. Completing enrollment by February 2020 will guarantee a placement in the lottery. If you miss the deadline for the 2020-2021 school year, please contact us to learn more.