Summer Trek, Grades 1-7
School breaks for summer, but for Summer Trek students, learning never stops! Summer Trek engages students in activities to discover the world around them.
Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) Guidelines: Our Child Care program and activities will look different for the Summer of 2020. In order to keep our students, their families, and staff safe and healthy, staff will be following procedures recommended by MDH, and in line with CDC guidance, throughout the summer. As required by MDH for Certified Centers, our staff are operating under the guidance of a Covid-19 Preparedness Plan that protects children, families, staff and community. Parents who would like to review the plan should ask staff for a copy.
What will be different?
- At arrival before parents leave, children will be screened for wellness and get their temperatures checked. Students who do not meet MDH guidelines will not be able to stay on-site. Staff will provide parents with follow-up instructions necessary before students can return to attend.
- Students will be expected to wash their hands at arrival and frequently throughout the day. Toys, equipment, materials and spaces will be washed and sanitized frequently throughout the day.
- Our staff to student ratio will be 1:9, with smaller home-room groups, and larger group spaces. Spaces will allow for social distance of at least 6 feet between individuals at play, at table activities, at meals, and other activities.
- We will not be able to go swimming or schedule field trips this summer. Walking trips will be limited to open spaces where social distance can be maintained.
- We will be operating at two sites, Park Terrace and the C Wing of the High School (Lighthouse). See details below.
- Procedures may be added and/or revised per MDH changes in guidelines.
Who: Summer Trek is open to children who are age 6-12 years, entering grades 1-7
When: Tuesday, June 9 through Friday, August 28, 2020
- Program hours: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. (participants break into home-room groups for daily activities)
- Drop-off: 6:30 - 9 a.m.
- Breakfast served: approx. 8:00 - 9:00 a.m.
- Lunch served: approx. 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Pick-up: 4 - 6 p.m.
- Curb-side pick-up may be implemented - TBD
Where: Students who attend Park Terrace for school and siblings of Discovery Days students will be assigned to our site at Park Terrace Elementary School, 8301 Terrace Rd, Spring Lake Park.
Students who attend Centerview, Northpoint or Woodcrest schools will be assigned to our site at the C Wing of the High School (Lighthouse), 7925 Able Street, Spring Lake Park.
Flexible Scheduling: Full-time or part-time options. Pick your days throughout the summer. Learn more in the program rates section below.
Breakfast, Lunch, and Afternoon Snack: Breakfast and lunch are provided by SLP Schools' Summer Food Program, Monday through Thursday. A bag lunch and beverage from home will be needed on Fridays. Friday breakfast and all afternoon snacks are provided by the Summer Trek program.
Questions: If you have any questions about Summer Trek or registration, please contact us at 763-600-5000
Registration: Once you complete the online application you will be put on a "pending approval status" until Community Education staff can review it. Your credit card will not be charged until your child is confirmed in the program. Once you are approved, you will receive an email confirmation and your credit card will be charged.
Registration for our summer program opened on Monday, March 2. Our spaces fill quickly. Do NOT wait to register if you would like a spot in our program. Current families received priority from March 2 through April 1.
Starting on or about March 15, registrations are reviewed in the order that they were received by our online system. In order for a registration to be processed, all Community Education program balances must be paid in full. Accounts with a balance overdue will not be processed.
Our Child Care programs have a limited number of full-time and part-time spots. Upon confirmation by our registration staff that there is a spot for your child, the registration will be processed and the registration fee will be collected. Registrants will receive an email confirmation that the registration is complete.
Registration for school-year 2020-2021 also opens on March 2. Register early to avoid a wait list. Our sites do fill up.