Nordic Skiing, Co-ed
2022-2023 practice start date
Practice for the 2022-2023 school year begins Monday, November 14, 2022 at 3:30 p.m. at SLPHS. You must be registered in order to participate.
Parent/Athlete meeting dates
Parent/Athlete meetings were held on the following days:
- Tuesday, November 1 at 6:00 pm at St Anthony HS in the Commons (cafeteria).
- Thursday, November 3 at 6 pm at SLP in Room C-221 (Ms. Rathmanner's room)
Key dates for the 2022-2023 season
- Wed, 6pm November 9 - Team night at Pioneer Midwest. Come ask questions, get special pricing, meet coaches.
- Saturday, January 7 - Mesabi East Invite at Giant's Ridge (overnight)
- Monday, January 30 - Conference Championships at Hyland Park
- Thursday, February 9 - Section 4 Champ's at Battle Creek
- Wednesday, February 15 and Thursday, February 16 - Two day State Meet at Giant's Ridge
Ski Sales/Swaps:Oct 28-30 Hyland Ski Swap, Nov 12 Gear West, Nov 12 MYSL, Nov 12-13 Pioneer Midwest, Nov 18-20 Midwest Mountaineering, Nov 20 Mora. Keep an eye on Skinnyski to see other sales as well.
Spring Lake Park/St. Anthony/Centennial Nordic Skiing
Tune into Remind below to know the latest.
Ski Pass/Remind app
Once the season begins, your skier will need an electronic ski pass for Wirth Park and a paper pass for Three Rivers Parks . These will be handed out to all registered skiers starting in November as they become available.
Please subscribe to our latest version of Remind below to know what's going on in Skiing.
Need help? 1 minute video tutorial on how to join Remind
Do you show up twice in Remind? Here's how to fix that.
What is the cost and what equipment will athletes need? The activities fee varies depending on your school. Students must have 2 sets of skis and poles, one for classic and one for skate skiing. It is recommended that skiers purchase their own equipment. Or you can rent two sets of skis and poles from the school for $70 total. You will need to purchase boots to fit our roller skis and rental equipment. Only NNN boots will fit our equipment. Here are some acceptable boot choices: Salomon pro combi ProLinks, Fischer RC3 combi, Rossi X8 pursuit, Alpina RCO combi, Salomon RS Carbon skate, Salomon Equipe 8 skate, NO classic boots (unless you use them for classic only and have a separate pair for skate).
NOTE: you will need a good quality boot that can work for skate and classic. When you grab the ankle cuff, you should not be able to easily flop it side to side - you need that support! They work great for both skate and classic. See Gear and equipment on the left for more info.
Ski rental is available when you register for Nordic skiing online.
- What can student athletes expect from Nordic Skiing?
- Where should student athletes and parents go for more information?
- When is the Nordic Skiing season?
- What times are practices and meets?
- Where does the team meet for practice?
- When do we compete?
- What are the eligibility requirements?
- What is the average number of members on the Nordic Skiing team?
- What awards can student athletes receive and what is the criteria?
- What student leadership positions are available?
- Can I sign out roller skis for the summer?
Mike Miller: USSA Certified Level 200 Coach
Mike Miller began coaching Nordic skiing in 1993. He previously coached cross country running for 23 seasons and track for 13. He still skis competitively, though to look at him you wouldn’t guess it. He also enjoys long distance bike touring, canoeing, and, especially, time with his family. Mr Miller is a retired SLPHS Spanish teacher (36 years at SLP!) and proud alum of St John’s University.
am a Andover High School Nordic Skiing alumnus (Go Huskies!) where I competed for 5 years earning various honors. Additionally, I competed collegiately in cross-country running and track and field for the Concordia Cobbers while studying Spanish and Education. I taught Spanish at Spring Lake Park High School and then Second Grade at Woodcrest Spanish Immersion. I have worked as a medical interpreter and this past winter as a snowmaker at Theo Wirth Park. I still enjoy competing, having run several marathons and skiing the Birkie and City of Lakes Loppet. Outside of work and athletics, I immensely enjoy reading and have become an amateur candle maker.