Early Entrance to Kindergarten
Procedures for early entrance to kindergarten
By ruling of the School Board, children are eligible to enroll in kindergarten if they are five years old on or before September 1 for the upcoming school year.
Parents of children with birthdays between September 2-November 1 may apply for Early Entrance to Kindergarten.
An Early Entrance to Kindergarten team will host an ‘Early Entrance to Kindergarten Ready Opportunity’ in April for students to demonstrate they are ready to start Kindergarten early. During the experience, students will have a classroom experience of like-aged peers and take part in a brief intelligence assessment.
How to Apply
Download, read and submit the Early Entrance to Kindergarten Guide and Application by Thursday, February 28, 2019. Email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spring Lake Park Schools will contact the parent/guardian with information regarding the Early Entrance to Kindergarten Initial Screening to be held in April
- Parents/guardians are required to submit, in person, the following to the District Services Center on or before Thursday, February 28, 2019:
• A check for $150 made payable to Spring Lake Park Schools to cover the cost of assessment and consultation time
• A birth certificate for age verification
• Proof of address
• Non-resident form, if applicable
- Parents/guardians and students attend the 'Kindergarten Ready Opportunity' on Wednesday, April 24, 2019
A member of the Early Entrance to Kindergarten team will inform parents/guardians of the result of the assessment. One of the following results will occur from this initial assessment:
- Child is recommended to proceed with further evaluation. This is inclusive of a comprehensive cognitive and social/emotional evaluation by a school psychologist.
- Child will not be admitted for Early Entrance but may enroll in kindergarten in fall of the following year
If the child meets the criteria on the comprehensive academic and social/emotional assessment, he or she may enter kindergarten on a probationary admission. Prior to this probationary admission, parents/guardians will be required to fill out the online enrollment application and submit the child's immunization forms.
Early entrance to kindergarten is probationary until December 1. Probationary admission means that the school staff will closely be monitoring your child to ensure that kindergarten is the right social, emotional, and cognitive fit for your child. If it is decided that kindergarten is not the appropriate setting at this time, your child will be un-enrolled and asked to enroll again the following fall. Because of this probationary period, we recommend that you keep open communication with your child’s teacher and have a back-up child care or preschool plan.
If you have any further questions please contact the enrollment office at 763-600-5082 or email Lindsay Johnson at email@example.com by Thursday, February 28, 2019.