Frequently Asked Questions
What do you need to do? Just follow the step-by-step process below and you will be well on your way to a great kindergarten experience! Between now and then, we will assist you in any way that we can, and answer all of your questions. Questions about the enrollment process? Call our enrollment office at 763-600-5018.
Your Step-by-Step “Enrollment and Get Ready for K” Process
Choose the type of kindergarten program you would like for your child - traditional or Spanish Immersion.
Spanish Immersion - Woodcrest Spanish Immersion School
If you want more information about our Kindergarten programs, plan to attend one of the following Parent Information Session in January and February
- Woodcrest Spanish Immersion: Thursday, January 25, 2018
- Park Terrace Elementary: Tuesday, January 30, 2018
- Northpoint Elementary: Thursday, February 1, 2018
- New PreK-4 Elementary: Date TBD, more information to come
Complete step one of the enrollment application:
- Online: Enrollment for the 2018-2018 school year will begin Wednesday, January 3. Check back here for the link to start the online enrollment process. (Online enrollment is not recommended for mobile devices. Computers are available at our District Services Center.)
In-Person: District Services Center, 1415 - 81st Avenue NE, Spring Lake Park
Complete step two of the enrollment application:
- Please bring the following required documents to the District Services Center, your school or by the enrollment deadline, Wednesday, February 28, 2018:
- Child’s original birth certificate
- Proof of address (examples include; driver’s license, utility bill, rental or purchase agreement) - original only
- Immunization records from your child's five-year-old check-up must be turned in before the start of school on Tuesday, September 4, 2018
- Note: Early Childhood Screening and immunization records may also be turned in when completed
- Copies will be made of each document and the original given back to you. Enrollment will not be complete until the DSC has copies of the above documents.
Plan to attend the Kindergarten Round-Up Event on Thursday, May 17, 2018 for parents and our future kindergartners. Watch your mailbox and the website for more information.
Register and complete Early Childhood Screening if you haven’t done so already. (Screening is required by law.) Contact our Early Childhood Center at 763-600-5900 to learn more or to register for an upcoming screening date or visit the screening website here.
- At your child’s 5-year-old checkup with their doctor, ensure that immunizations are up-to-date. Immunizations are required by law and no student will be able to start on the first day without having these completed.
Click here for more information about enrolling for kindergarten.
All in-district kindergarten students are eligible for transportation to and from school. Our regular education transportation contractor is Lorenz Bus Service, for Special Education it is Voigt’s Bus Service. Click here to visit our Transportation website.
Transportation and Daycare
If your kindergartner will be in daycare, it is very important to indicate this during the online enrollment process. Also, if there are any address changes throughout the year, please keep the Transportation Department and your school office updated. Before changing daycare, make sure the daycare is still in the district attendance area, otherwise the student will not get transportation to and from that daycare.
How do I get my bus stop information?
Kindergarten students ride the regular morning and afternoon school buses. You should receive a postcard in the mail approximately two weeks before school starts. Bus stop information will also be available in Campus Portal.
If you have questions regarding transportation, call 763-600-5590 or email email@example.com.
What if you need childcare before or after school?
The district’s Community Education child care program, Learning Ventures, is available for your needs before and after school.
School start and end times
(subject to change for 2018-2019 school year)
Northpoint Elementary: 9:20 a.m.-3:55 p.m.
Park Terrace Elementary: 9:20 a.m.-3:55 p.m.
Woodcrest Elementary Spanish Immersion: 9:10 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
Because of changes made throughout the summer, class lists are not finalized until late August. Teacher assignments will be shared at the schools' Meet Your Teacher event one week before school begins.
Minnesota Statute 121A.15 requires that all children must be immunized against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella before they can start school.
In case of illness
If your child is injured or becomes ill at school, a school nurse or teacher will administer only simple first aid and you will be notified. If emergency medical care is necessary, and we are unable to locate you, your family doctor will be called unless you have provided alternate instructions. Give your child a healthy start by assuring they have:
- Necessary immunizations
- Periodic health exams (a complete exam must take place before the start of school)
- Plenty of sleep each night (10-12 hours are recommended for this age group)
- A good healthy diet that includes breakfast
- Neat, clean, comfortable clothes, appropriate for the day’s activities
- An early enough start so your child is wide-awake when school begins without that “last minute dash.” (Remember, punctuality is important, but don’t send your child to school too early or there may not be adequate supervision)
Early childhood screening
Minnesota law requires that your child must be screened for enrollment in public school. This service is offered at no cost to all families who live in Spring Lake Park Schools. If you are planning to send your child to private school or to home school, the law does not require the screening. However, we still encourage you to participate.
This is a wonderful opportunity for you to find out how your child is developing and for you to find out more about resources and programs in our community.
Children may be screened between the ages of three-five. The ideal age for screening is near your child’s fourth birthday.